Are you wondering what Bible verses to pray for special needs children?
As a mother of a special needs child, I know first-hand how challenging it can be. My go-to for comfort and encouragement has always been the Bible.
Praying Scripture over your child can be one of the most powerful tools you have in order to see God move in their lives. And it is also an act of faith that shows God you are trusting Him with your child's future.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure here.
What Does the Bible Say About Special Needs Children
Does the Bible actually talk about special needs children?
In Luke 18:15, it says that parents brought their babies to Jesus so that he might put his hands on them. I realized after reading this verse, it’s a strong possibility some of their children had disabilities because people brought their loved ones to be healed by Jesus.
The disciples brushed these children away, but Jesus had compassion and said, “Never hinder a child from coming to me but let them all come, for God’s kingdom belongs to them as much as it does to anyone else. These children demonstrate to you what faith is all about.” Luke 18:16 TPT
In the above bible verse, Jesus shows the path most special needs parents find themselves on, standing up for our kids, wanting our kids to be included, and relying on faith.
Bible Characters with Disabilities
Throughout the Bible, we find people that faced disabilities but God still used them in powerful ways. Here are just a few examples of Biblical characters who had some form of disability:.
- Naaman had leprosy.
- Isaac, became blind in his old age Genesis 27:1
- Jacob walked with a limp Genesis 32:31
- Paralyzed man at Capernaum Matt. 9:1-8
- Deaf Man at Decapolis Mark 7:31-37
- The man with the infirmity at Bethesda John 5:1-15
God doesn't see limitations. He only sees the potential someone has when they truly put their faith in Him!
God Chooses Special Needs Parents
As parents, we naturally have expectations of the “perfect” child. And when you find out your child has some form of disability, it is only natural to ask – “Why did God give me a special needs child?”
When I found out my child had a sickness, I thought God was punishing me. But I was believing a lie. When Jesus comforted the blind man's parents, he said “It was not that this man sinned or his parents, but that the works of God might be displayed in him.” John 9:3 ESV
It was a relief to know this, and it made me feel better about my situation.
God’s light shines continually on my son. I’ve seen mini-miracles along the way that surprised doctors teachers, and even impatient me.
On some days I confess I feel so inadequate and overwhelmed with the responsibility of raising a special needs child, but then I remember God doesn’t make mistakes. God knew I could handle it, even when I didn't think I could.
Bible Verses for Special Needs Children
Raising a special needs child is hard and can really test your faith. But we know that God works all things for our (and their) good! These Bible verses for special needs children can be prayed over them and can also serve as a source of encouragement for the parents.
“The LORD does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart.” 1 Sam. 16:7 NIV
There are a few people that might ignore people with disabilities. But God will never overlook your special needs loved one.
I always tell my son you are not alone, God is always with you, and ask God to help you. A good verse for both me and my child to say together is:
“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” Phil. 4:13
Bible Verses for Special Needs Children to Prosper
God has big plans for our special needs children, even when we can’t see it since were often dealing with day-to-day struggles.
Pray these verses over them so they know their future is filled with God's promises!
- ”For I know the plans I have for you,” says the LORD. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.” Jer. 29:11 NLT
- “For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.” Eph 2:10 NLT
Speak life over your special needs children to bring hope, faith, and encouragement into their lives.
All children need us to speak life and encouragement into them daily. And they also need us to speak up for them to ensure they are given every opportunity to prosper.
- “The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.” Proverbs 18:21 NLT
- “Speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves; ensure justice for those being crushed. Yes, speak up for the poor and helpless, and see that they get justice.” Proverbs 31:8-9 NLT
- “I know that the LORD secures justice for the poor and upholds the cause of the needy.” Psalm 140:12 NIV
I would recite these scriptures before school IEP meetings where I was facing some battles.
Bible Verses for Special Needs Children Who Are Afraid
Fear is something that all children struggle with. But a special needs child may struggle with fear on a whole different level.
Fear that they will never be good enough. Fear for their future. Fear of other kids making fun of them.
These verses of scripture are perfect for helping to strengthen our special needs children when they are afraid. (to name a few)
- “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isa 41:10 ESV
- “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.” Ps 56:3 NASB
- ”Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified, because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; He will never leave you or forsake you.” Deut. 31:6 NIV
- “He will cover you with his feathers. He will shelter you with his wings. His faithful promises are your armor and protection.” Psalm 91:4 NLT
- “How precious is Your loving devotion, O God, that the children of men take refuge in the shadow of Your wings!” Psalm 36:7 BSB
Bible Verses for the Health of Special Needs Children
As a parent, you are always concerned for the health and well-being of your children. But special needs children often have health issues related to their conditions which put an even heavier worry on the parents.
Pray these verses daily over your special needs child to reaffirm God's blessings over them and to give you a little more peace.
- “Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health just as your soul prospers.” 3 John 1:2 NKJ
- “I will bless you with plenty of food and water and keep your strong.” Ex.23:25 NLT
- “Be Still and know that I am God.” Psalm 46:10 NIV
- “The Lord gives His beloved sleep.” Psalm 127:2 NKJV
- “May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us— yes, establish the work of our hands.” Psalm 90:17 NIV
Bible Verses for Special Needs Parents
A parent of a special needs child faces unique challenges. The constant worry over their children. The need to organize their life around their child's limitation or disability.
It can be very overwhelming and exhausting! But God didn't intend for you to be alone in this! Share this burden with others by finding community with other special needs parents.
Learn from those who went before you in raising special needs children. They are a wealth of advice, information, and friendship!
- “Plans fail when there is no counsel, but with many advisers, they succeed.” Proverbs 15:22 HCSB
- “A friend is always loyal, and a brother is born to help in time of need.” Proverbs 17:17 NLT
- “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Mark 12:31 NIV
A Prayer for Special Needs Children
Dear Lord, I pray for our special needs children. I ask you to protect them from evil and give me the wisdom to raise them up in your word and they will know God.
I pray they will know God and God will give them peace.
Lord, I pray they always are healthy in their body, mind, and spirit. To bring the best doctors, teachers, aides, and treatments, and supports available.
I pray for our special needs children to flourish, and others won’t be threatened by their weaknesses. Lord, I pray for special needs children to develop self-esteem and positive images of themselves. I pray they will find good friends who will encourage them and have some fun.
Lord, I pray that our families give thanks constantly for what they have because God is good and he will provide everything they need.
Be sure to also read: