Are you looking for some Bible verses about gratitude to help you grow closer to God?
The Bible tells us to give thanks in everything because showing gratitude to God is a way to show appreciation for all He has done in our lives. We can do this by thanking Him (or even better, praising Him) and by acknowledging His goodness and generosity toward us.
Let’s dive in and meditate on all of these amazing gratitude scriptures to help you cultivate a heart for thanksgiving every day!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure here.
What Does the Bible Say About Gratitude
The topic of gratitude and being thankful is found all throughout the Bible! Gratitude in the Bible is about:
- giving thanks to God
- being thankful for others
- being thankful for the little things
- finding reasons to be thankful in every season of life
Specifically, the Bible tells us to give thanks to God in everything. I’m sure you’ve heard the saying “gratitude is a thank you in advance.” The Bible also says that gratitude is “the purest form of worship” and an attitude that will bring us closer to God.
Here are just a few Bible verses about gratitude to show you just how important this is to God!
- Colossians 2:7 CSB being rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, and overflowing with gratitude.
- 1 Timothy 4:4 NIV For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving,
- Hebrews 12:28 Therefore, since we receive a kingdom which cannot be shaken, let us show gratitude, by which we may offer to God an acceptable service with reverence and awe.
A grateful heart gives thanks freely, celebrates every season with praise, fully acknowledging God’s hand at work in and through it.
Why is Gratitude Important to God? Because gratitude causes us to focus less on ourselves and more on Him.
Use the following gratitude Scriptures to meditate on God’s Word and to help you learn to see each day with an attitude of gratitude!
Bible Verses About Gratitude
Which Bible verse talks about gratitude? This really depends on which Bible translation you are using. Sometimes the word “gratitude” is replaced with “thankfulness” or something similar.
The Bible is chocked full of bible verses about gratitude and being thankful for God and all things. Being thankful to God is about a heart attitude that chooses to look at God rather than the hard situations in life.
When life is hard it is tempting to focus on all of the problems but that causes unnecessary stress. Instead of looking at all of the problems, keep your eyes on God and remember how He’s been faithful in your life.
1 Corinthians 15:57 NIV but thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
We can thank God when we are waiting on what He’s promised us in the same way Anna the Prophetess did.
Luke 2:38 Coming up to them at that very moment, she gave thanks to God and spoke about the child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem.
Often the characteristics of God coincide with the character of God. We serve a God who redeems us and sets us free from the bondage of sin and we can be grateful for that freedom.
We can show gratitude for God’s grace. We can be grateful that God supplies all our needs.
Here are some more verses about gratitude to meditate on today:
- Romans 6:17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you have come to obey from your heart the pattern of teaching that has now claimed your allegiance.
- 2 Corinthians 4:15 All this is for your benefit, so that the grace that is reaching more and more people may cause thanksgiving to overflow to the glory of God.
- 2 Corinthians 9:12 This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of the Lord’s people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God.
- Ephesians 5:4 Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place, but rather thanksgiving.
- Philippians 4:6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
- Colossians 3:17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Not only can we be grateful for who God is, but we can incorporate gratitude and thanksgiving into our daily lives.
Bible Verses About Gratitude in Prayer
Prayer is another way to express gratitude to God. We should always begin our prayers by simply giving thanks to God for everything He has already done and who He is!
- John 11:41 So they took away the stone. Then Jesus looked up and said, “Father, I thank you that you have heard me.
- Ephesians 1:15-16 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all God’s people, I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.
- Colossians 4:2 Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
- 1 Timothy 2:1 I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people
These Bible verses about gratitude will help you to become a strong and grateful prayer warrior.
Bible Verses About Gratitude and Thanksgiving
Gratitude and thanksgiving to God go hand in hand. There are many Bible verses about gratitude and giving thanks for God’s provision of Good, gifts, and other blessings.
- Hebrews 13:15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that openly profess his name.
- Jeremiah 33:11 the sounds of joy and gladness, the voices of bride and bridegroom, and the voices of those who bring thank offerings to the house of the Lord, saying, Give thanks to the Lord Almighty, for the Lord is good; his love endures forever.” For I will restore the fortunes of the land as they were before,’ says the Lord.
- Matthew 15:36 Then he took the seven loaves and the fish, and when he had given thanks, he broke them and gave them to the disciples, and they in turn to the people.
- Matthew 26:27 Then he took a cup, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you.
- John 6:23 Then some boats from Tiberias landed near the place where the people had eaten the bread after the Lord had given thanks..
- Colossians 2:7 rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
Meditate on these gratitude scriptures about gratitude and thanksgiving to help you better cultivate a heart of thankfulness for everything God has done in your life!
Bible Verses About Showing Gratitude to Others
Cultivating a gracious heart means also showing gratitude for all the people God has placed in our lives.
These verses about gratitude come from Paul where he repeatedly thanks God for the people in his life.
- Romans 1:8 First, I thank my God through Jesus Christ for all of you, because your faith is being reported all over the world.
- Colossians 1:3 We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you,
Bible Verses About Gratitude for God’s Word
Not only can we be thankful for who God is, what God has done but for the relationship, we can have with God through the Bible.
- 1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this reason we also constantly thank God that when you received the word of God which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men, but for what it really is, the word of God, which also performs its work in you who believe.
- Matthew 11:25 At that time Jesus said, “I praise You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and have revealed them to infants.
We can also show gratitude that God gave us the revelations of the word so we could understand what He was talking about (most of the time 😉 )
Gratitude Scripture from the Psalms
The book of Psalms is such an amazing book to read! It is filled with Bible verses about gratitude, songs about gratitude, and thanksgiving.
Here are just a few gratitude Scriptures from the Psalmists for you to meditate on this season.
- Psalm 9:1 I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
- Psalm 27:6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his sacred tent I will sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the Lord.
- Psalm 50:14 “Sacrifice thank offerings to God, fulfill your vows to the Most High,
- Psalm 86:12 I will praise you, Lord my God, with all my heart; I will glorify your name forever.
- Psalm 95:1-2 Come, let us sing for joy to the Lord; let us shout aloud to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before him with thanksgiving and extol him with music and song.
- Psalm 100:4 Enter his gates with thanksgiving and his courts with praise; give thanks to him and praise his name.
- Psalm 105:1-3 Give praise to the Lord, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done. Sing to him, sing praise to him; tell of all his wonderful acts. Glory in his holy name; let the hearts of those who seek the Lord rejoice.
- Psalm 107:8-9 Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for mankind, for he satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things.
As I searched out Bible verses about gratitude I was overwhelmed with the sense of awe and wonder. We serve a mighty God, a God who is loving, kind, patient, and compassionate.
Yes, God is all those things, but He is also the Righteous Judge who sits enthroned over eternity. On that fateful day, He will judge the world. Every knee will bow and worship and Give thanks to the King of kings and the Lord of lords.
- Revelations 4:9 Whenever the living creatures give glory, honor and thanks to him who sits on the throne and who lives forever and ever,
- Revelations 7:12 saying, “Amen, blessing and glory and wisdom and thanksgiving and honor and power and might, be to our God forever and ever. Amen.”
As we can see, the Bible is pretty clear on the topic of cultivating a heart of gratitude. Hopefully, these Bible verses about gratitude spoke to you today and encourage you to be more intentional with showing gratitude to God and simply being grateful in all things!
The truth is that life is hard in some seasons. I am in the midst of a crazy season right now. Life is hard sometimes, but God is faithful, constant, and trustworthy. When Life is hard I can lift my eyes to the Lord who gives me strength for each new day.
Be sure to also read: