Who doesn’t enjoy a good laugh? I’m talking about the kind of laughing that makes you cry and makes your stomach muscles ache!
Even doctors will tell you that laughter is the best medicine in many situations.
When we are feeling down, finding something to laugh about can literally change our whole outlook and make us feel better. But did you know there are many references to laughing in the Bible?
There are a lot of Bible verses about laughter found throughout the Bible because God wants us to be happy and filled with joy!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure here.
What the Bible Say About Laughter
We all love to laugh. It’s a natural human response and can be contagious. A good sense of humor is important in life, but what does the Bible say about laughter? As it turns out, there are many biblical references to laughing or laughter. Some people find this surprising because they believe that Christianity is not supposed to be funny, but God wants us to enjoy ourselves and have fun!
Here are just a few references to laughter found in Scripture:
- There’s Sarah laughing in a ‘yeah, right. I’m going to have a Baby NOW?’ kind of way.
- Babylonians laughing at every attempt to make a defense against them.
- People laughing at Jesus
- Stop laughing and repent
- Your repentance and weeping will become laughter and joy
As you can see from these examples, laughing in the Bible comes in many forms, including some that aren’t necessarily nice!
Where in the Bible Does it Say Laughter is Like Medicine?
I’m sure you’ve heard the phrase “laughter is the best medicine” but did you know that Bible actually tells us that it is? Most people have heard of the ‘laughter is like medicine for the soul” Bible verses. The famous Bible verse about laughter, Proverbs 17:22 says:
- ESV: A joyful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
- NIV: A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.
- AMP: A happy heart is good medicine and a joyful mind causes healing, But a broken spirit dries up the bones.
So, if the Bible tells us laughter is good for us, who are we to contradict that idea?
How Many Time is Laughter Mentioned in the Bible
Scripture references laughing/laughter a lot! Depending on the translation, the Bible mentions laughter somewhere between 20-40 times.
There are so many verses (listed below) that talk about laughter, being joyous, and being happy. God wants us to be happy and laughter is surely a sign of that, right?
Bible Verses About Laughter
There are so many Bible verses about laughter to reflect and meditate on! Scripture is filled with verses that reference laughter in a variety of situations. One that sticks out to me and captures the essence of why God gave us laughter is Ecclesiastes 8:15
“So I recommend having fun because there is nothing better for people in this world than to eat, drink, and enjoy life. That way they will experience some happiness along with all the hard work God gives them under the sun.”
Laughing is fun, and when we are having fun, we are able to fully experience all God has planned for us!
Here are some more Bible verses about laughter that also capture its importance!
- She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. Proverbs 31:25 NIV
- Sarah said, “God has brought me laughter, and everyone who hears about this will laugh with me.” Genesis 21:6 NIV
- You will laugh at violence and famine, And you will not be afraid of wild beasts. Job 5:22
- He will yet fill your mouth with laughter And your lips with shouting. Job 8:21
- Blessed [are] you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed [are] you who weep now, for you shall laugh. Luke 6:21
- He who sits in the heavens laughs; the Lord holds them in derision. Psalm 2:4 ESV
Bible Verses About Laughter and Happiness
God wants us to have peace and joy by trusting him with our lives. We are not meant for sadness or depression because God’s happiness is better than those two emotions any day! Being happy should involve laughter and we shouldn’t take life so seriously that we forget how to laugh.
God wants us to be happy and there are Bible verses about laughter and happiness to prove it!
He literally tells us there is a time to have fun and dance. And if you’ve ever seen me dance, you will most definitely be laughing!!
- A time to weep and a time to laugh; A time to mourn and a time to dance. Ecclesiastes 3:4
- A glad heart makes a happy face; a broken heart crushes the spirit. Proverbs 15:13:
- For the despondent, every day brings trouble; for the happy heart, life is a continual feast. Proverbs 15:15
Bible Verses About Laughter and Joy
God wants us to be filled with laughter and joy! He even calls for the mountains, hills, and trees to sing and dance with joy!
- You will live in joy and peace. The mountains and hills will burst into song, and the trees of the field will clap their hands! Isaiah 55:12
- Then our mouth was filled with laughter And our tongue with joyful shouting; Then they said among the nations, “The LORD has done great things for them. Psalm 126:2
- You have turned my mourning into joyful dancing. You have taken away my clothes of mourning and clothed me with joy. Psalm 30:11
- God blesses you who are hungry now, for you will be satisfied. God blesses you who weep now for in due time you will laugh. Luke 6:21
Bible Verses About Laughing at Others
Does God laugh? There are several verses of scripture where God laughs, but not so much in a happy way. He laughs in a way to show his disapproval for those who go against Him:
- But You, O LORD, laugh at them; You scoff at all the nations. Psalm 59:8
- But the Lord just laughs, for he sees their day of judgment coming. Psalm 37:13
- I will also laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your dread comes. Proverbs 1:26
There are additional Bible verses about laughing at others where the laughing is done in a not-so-joyous manner, but in more of a bully kind of way. As Christians, we should never laugh to make fun of others!
- They mock at kings And rulers are a laughing matter to them. They laugh at every fortress And heap up rubble to capture it. Habakkuk 1:10
- You make us an object of contention to our neighbors, And our enemies laugh among themselves.” Psalm 80:6
- He said, “Leave; for the girl has not died, but is asleep.” And they [began] laughing at Him. Matthew 9:24
- They [began] laughing at Him. But putting them all out, He took along the child’s father and mother and His own companions and entered [the room] where the child was. Mark 5:40
- And they [began] laughing at Him, knowing that she had died. Luke 8:53
Laughter provides so many spiritual, mental, and physical benefits. Could this be why God gave us the act of laughing? So that we are spiritually, mentally, and physically healthy and able to fully focus on Him?
Hopefully, these Bible verses about laughter will help you turn that frown upside down and fully embrace all that God has in store for you!
Be sure to also read: