Do you feel trapped inside of a troubled marriage? What once began with hope and the promise of joy has turned into despair and more hard work than you feel you can handle… Take hope today because our God is a fighter who has a lot to say about troubling situations. Yes, there are many Bible verses for a troubled marriage that will help you hold onto hope.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read our full disclosure here.
19 Bible Verses for a Troubled Marriage
It is tempting to begin by searching out every problem in your marriage but today I want to start with Hope. Yes, you may have a troubled marriage, but you also have a powerful loving God who can calm the troubled seas with a word. Find hope in that.
Do you need a reminder of the Hope you have in God regardless of the season? before we see the Bible verses for a troubled marriage, let me remind you of some of God's promises of hope.
In all honesty, this is my favorite collection of Bible verses to save a marriage. Enjoy!
Bible Verses About Hope for a Troubled Marriage
These are just a few of the Bible verses about hope in troubled times that I advise you to search out. Write them down. Take the time to memorize one. When marriage is hard – when you need hope for marriage – it helps to remind yourself that our hope is not in marriage but in God.
- Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord And whose trust is the Lord.” Jeremiah 17:7 NASB
- For I know the plans that I have for you,’ declares the Lord, ‘plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.” Jeremiah 29:11 NASB
- The Lord is my portion,” says my soul, “Therefore I have hope in Him.” Lamentations 3:24 NASB
- Rejoicing in hope, persevering in tribulation, devoted to prayer,” Romans 12:12 NASB
I highly recommend that you repeat that process with the next set of bible verses for a troubled marriage as well. By reading the verses, writing them out you will be strengthening your spiritual armor for the battle to come. This is a key component of building the characteristics of a Godly marriage that you so desperately want.
Bible Verses for a Broken Marriage to Be Healed
Apart from God, a troubled marriage is hopeless. Two flawed, sinful humans can never turn the tide with sheer willpower. If you are standing for your marriage alone, determined to a work through the hard parts and avoid divorce you need God to be the one doing the hard work.
- You need God to step in and heal the broken pieces.
- You need God to stand up over you and fight the real enemy.
Humility Leads to Healing
How do I let God heal my marriage? Healing in any area of our lives starts with humility. Coming to God with all your broken pieces, casting every care on Him, then waiting soberly for Him to move.
1 Peter 5:6-8 Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He cares for you. Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
God Will Not Help the Proud
Remember that God is with the broken in spirit. When you are tempted to let your anger and pride run wild, read this verse and beg God to come in and fight for you instead.
Isaiah 57:15 For thus says the high and exalted One Who lives forever, whose name is Holy, “I dwell on a high and holy place, And also with the contrite and lowly of spirit In order to revive the spirit of the lowly And to revive the heart of the contrite.
Faith Can Change Everything
It doesn't take much faith to move mountains. A troubled marriage is just another mountain to God. Give it to Him today in faith and watch Him change things in a powerful way.
Mark 11:23 Truly I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be taken up and cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted him.
Standing for Marriage Reconciliation
Standing for marriage reconciliation can be hard and feel lonely. It feels like the whole world would have you just divorce and move on. But you are in good company if you can stand for your marriage – even if you are standing for your marriage alone. The Bible has a lot to say about the restoration of relationships!
God values relationships and teaches us how to work through the hard parts to restore them. See how here.
- Colossians 3:13 bearing with one another, and forgiving each other, whoever has a complaint against anyone; just as the Lord forgave you, so also should you.”
- Romans 5:10 For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.”
- Ephesians 4:32 Be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you.”
- Matthew 19:26 And looking at them Jesus said to them, “With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
- Hebrews 12:14 Pursue peace with all men, and the sanctification without which no one will see the Lord.”
- Matthew 5:24 leave your offering there before the altar and go; first be reconciled to your brother, and then come and present your offering.”
- Luke 17:3 Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.”
Does God Want Restoration for My Marriage?
There are cases where God allows divorce: Adultery, abandonment, and abuse. Outside of those situations, we see a clear, consistent call from God to honor marriage and fight for it.
If you ever wondered ‘what is a good scripture for marriage?' you will find them below. God is for you if you are standing for marriage reconciliation – take hope in that!
You can clearly see that God values marriage. These are great scriptures for marriage restoration to hold onto as you stand for your marriage.
- Genesis 2:24 For this reason a man shall leave his father and his mother, and be joined to his wife; and they shall become one flesh.”
- Matthew 5:32 but I say to you that everyone who divorces his wife, except for the reason of unchastity, makes her commit adultery; and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery.”
- Matthew 19:6 So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate.”
- 1 Corinthians 7:10-11 But to the married I give instructions, not I, but the Lord, that the wife should not leave her husband (but if she does leave, she must remain unmarried, or else be reconciled to her husband), and that the husband should not divorce his wife.”
When marriage is hard – when you need hope for marriage – you must hold onto God. The world will try to convince you to give up hope and move on but there is a blessing for those who stand firm in the power of God and fight for marriage.
Take one of these bible verses for a troubled marriage:
- Hope for a troubled marriage
- Healing for a broken marriage
- Confidence to stand for marriage reconciliation
With God's word firmly in hand, you can remind yourself of His promises on the hard days. Commit to reading the verse every day. Write it out as a prayer to do real battle for your marriage. Learn more about how to create prayers for marriages in trouble: A war Room Strategy.
That is how I use these marriage scriptures to stand strong in the battle when marriage is hard.
God is faithful. Keep your hope in Him today!
in HIM, Tiffany