How do we let go and let God?
Paul says to “throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easily entangles us” (Hebrews 12.1 NIV). Every day we have a chance to renew our mind in Christ. This allows Him to take all that hinders us so we can run “the race marked for us.” These hinders become sin that trips us up and slows us down. Giving it to God may seem scary at first, but our surrender will bring us freedom.
Runners know that to run with perseverance they have to let go of everything. Some will even shave the hair on their entire body because a slick, clean surface makes all the difference. Every day we much choose to let go of what’s behind, so we have a smooth surface surrendered to God. When we let go, we give God a clean slate to do His mighty work in our lives.
This page may contain affiliate links. You can read my full disclosure here.
What Does Giving it to God Mean?
Surrendering to God is literally giving up. It is telling God that we are not big enough to deal with our worries, and He must take over. When we finally let go, we give God room to wield His mighty arm in our lives. When our hands are weak and tired, God’s hands are strong and powerful!
Powerful is your arm! Strong is your hand! Your right hand is lifted high in glorious strength”Psalm 89.13 NLT
How to Let Go and Let God
Letting go and letting God is a daily, moment-by-moment choice. Like every discipline in life, we must learn to surrender and give it to God. The enemy seeks every new day to cloud our minds with worries, doubts, and fears. The devil wants there to be no room left for God in our lives. Surrendering to God becomes a lifestyle of daily giving it all to Him.
Whenever the ugly hairs of negatives thoughts seek to invade our space, we must cut them and give them to God immediately. God’s mercies are new every morning, so what happened yesterday, last year or a decade ago is completely gone. Carrying the past around will only take up space for God’s goodness, grace, and favor. Renewing our mind in Christ means letting go of all the burdens He died to take from us.
We can let go and let God by doing these things:
- Start each day by giving it to God – Do not take yesterday’s mistakes into the clean slate of today. Mentally shave off every single worry, doubt, fear, mistake, and anxiety from your mind each morning.
- Give it to God by starting each day with prayer – Speak to God. Yes, the day is full of responsibilities, but first talk to God. Acknowledge Him. Tell Him that you love Him. Tell Him that you are thankful for Jesus’ sacrifice for your life. Invite God’s Spirit to guide you that day. Before you talk to anyone, talk to God. He will set your day on the right path.
- Give it to God by starting each day with Scripture – Open your Bible and read where you left off from the previous day. Grab your phone and use a Bible App. Look through your emails and find encouraging verses that are sent to you. The Bible is living and active and like cool water for your thirsty soul.
- Give it to God by surrounding yourself with encouragement – You will never make it alone. You need to have people who speak truth into your life. You can also listen to podcasts, read books, watch videos and listen to Christian music that boosts your faith and encourages your spirit. Always be on the lookout for people and recourses that you can add as spiritual buffers in your life.
- Give it to God by renewing your mind continually – The world will constantly try to add worries to your day so it is important that you maintain your spiritual health! Continually surrender those worries to God. Trust and believe that God is for you. He loves you and wants only the best for you. When you let go, you can fully rest in His strength. You don’t have to worry. The Creator of the World is on your side.
Let Go and Let God Have All of It
Sometimes negatives thoughts have become so much a part of our natural thought processes that we don’t know we can give them to God. However, God needs space to move in our lives. We can clear out all the debris that is clogging up our minds and learn to surrender to Him. Below are a few thought strongholds that seek to steal our minds and hearts from God.
Giving it to God – Control
Control is the hardest thing to give up because without it we feel vulnerable. But we do not need to worry. God is already in control. We need to recognize His authority and move over to let Him lead. He is the Creator of the Universe so we can trust Him with each day. Letting go is scary at first, but the freedom in our mind and hearts will be worth it.
And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose”Romans 8.28 ESV
Giving it to God – Worry
Worry adds not a single day to our lives. In fact, worry oppresses us every second. Worry can literally affect not only our minds and hearts but our bodies too. Worry does absolutely nothing positive. Surrender worry to God and watch your life float in His favor.
Giving it to God – Finances
We tend to hold tightly to our finances. However, God wants to take the reins of our money. Money can become an idol if we place it before God. God wants to bless us, so we need to put our finances in its proper place: In God’s Hands. God will take care of us. We simply need to surrender our money and obey His leading.
Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, ‘I will never leave you nor forsake you’”Hebrews 13.5 ESV
Giving it to God – Your Future
We can only change one day at a time. Living in the future robs us from the joy of today. Each day is a gift, and we miss it when we allow our minds to dwell on all the unknowns. We can trust God with our future so we can focus on today. Trying to control the future is like trying to control the wind. Contentment in today will prevent our eyes from wandering off to tomorrow.
Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself”Matthew 6:34 NIV
Let Go and Let God Prayer Journal
1 Peter 5:7 (NLT) tells us to “Give all your worries and cares to God, for he cares about you.”
Are you struggling with certain areas of your life and know you need to just let go and let God take the wheel?
I created the Let Go and Let God Prayer Journal to help you to identify the things you need to relinquish control of, meditate on them, and ask God (in writing) to take the wheel.
This journal comes with verses of scripture to pray over specific areas of your life as well as journaling prompts to help you mediate over the issue as you ask God to take from you.
How are you giving it to God in your daily life? Are you fully surrendering to Him in every area? We’d love to hear from you! Please leave us a comment below about things you’ve let go and let God handle!
Watch the video below for some additional encouragement and understanding of how important giving it to God is and how to physically hand it over to Him!
Be sure also read:
- What If I Don’t Know How To Pray?
- Overcoming the Spirit of Gossip with Prayer – 7 Promises of Blessings
- Where Does God Fit Into Your Life?